Saudi Arabia’s Voluntary Carbon Market Fuels the Shift to a Low-Carbon
Under UAE President’s directives, UAE launches urgent relief response for Ghana flood victims
Combating Desertification and Drought: Qatar a Model in Preserving Natural Resources, Establishing Environmental Stability
UAE allocates US$30 million for emergency humanitarian response in El Obeid, calls for civilian protection, safe humanitarian aid access in Sudan
New York, August 19 (QNA) – The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that 2025 saw a new record in violence against aid workers, with 907 killed, injured or abducted.
OCHA said that although the number of humanitarian workers killed fell slightly to 350 last year, the overall level of violence they face did not decline.
Gaza was by far the most deadly place for aid workers in 2025, with 186 humanitarians killed there last year, the Aid Worker Security Database showed, followed by Sudan where 71 humanitarian workers lost their lives. The UN Office also reported that 82 aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide so far this year.
In a statement marking World Humanitarian Day, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher said that more than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years, stressing that this is completely unacceptable.
He emphasized that mere condemnation will not protect the next aid worker, saying that states must uphold international humanitarian law and use every means at their disposal to protect civilians and aid workers, adding that there must be serious consequences for those who violate the rules. (QNA)